I've been doing some reading and thinking about atheist viewpoints, and I've come to realize that there are really two distinct camps that are quite different in both their views and their approach. Actually, if you look closely, there are more than two; however, only two primary distinctions that really stand out to be of major importance.
The first is the typical view that there is no God. These atheists simply accept the belief that there is no God, and that everything can be explained through science and reason without the "need" for a Creator or an overarching religious belief system. They have no hidden agenda, and they simply seek to live a good life. Most people I've personally known that are in this camp are good people, who truly are compassionate and seek to live good lives. Their morality may be different, but they accept that it's okay for people to have a difference of opinion.
Then there are the others: they claim to be atheists, but what they really are is anti-theist. I hate to say it, but these are the people that make me want to react violently. These are the people who spread hate and hurt all over the place, and set out to make anyone who has a belief in God look like a band of fools and bigots. They are angry, insensitive, arrogant, and down right loathsome. As a Christian, I have to love these people, but I really don't like them at all. Not only do they think they are so much better than anyone stupid enough to believe in God, but it is also literally impossible to attempt any type of rational discussion with an anti-theist. They claim to be intelligent and only believe in reason and what is tangible, yet they do nothing but argue emotionally and irrationally without any ability to process or accept counter information of any type. Their mind is made up, and by lack of god, they are going to be stubborn as hell for all eternity.
What I have found largely in common in the two groups, is that both are primarily (and I know this doesn't apply to every single one, but what I found in many articles/blogs) driven to their lack of faith by some tragedy or loss. They are lead to their atheism by questions that they feel are answered inadequately, such as "Why would a loving God allow __________ to suffer and die in such a horrible way", or "How could God sit back and watch the world rip itself apart?"
This is very understandable in the sense that those types of issues are difficult to process, and it seems that no one ever really has an answer.
Others are guided into a lack of faith by other people they look up to, such as a college professor or an author. I used to think it was largely an issue of science, but I've found that isn't true. There are huge numbers of believers involved in scientific fields of research and study.
So, what I've mostly learned from all of this, is that there are people who are atheists because they are seeking the truth, and there are those who are anti-theists because they hate the idea of anyone believing a different truth. Either way, they are people who deserve the same love and compassion that Christ teaches us all to give, and we should always remember not to allow our own personal emotions to cloud the fact that we know we are children of God whose purpose is to show love and be a light in the darkness.
No comments:
Post a Comment